Guest introduction: Co-author of the ROAR Book and ROAR Chat guest, Tim Mulligan, left the World-Famous San Diego Zoo in 2017 after 12 years as their CHRO. He now serves as the CHRO for Vulcan, a unique Seattle-based company founded by the late Paul Allen. Tim explains that Vulcan is a sort of incubator for great ideas and solutions that tackle the world’s toughest problems. Some of the issues Vulcan takes on are restoring ocean health and preserving wildlife.
After introducing the first ROAR book in 2016, leaders around the world are still roaring! The ROAR paperback edition with a new foreword comes out this month. Our ROAR Chats are designed to delve deeper into the ideas and principles introduced in the book and to open up a one-on-one dialogue with organization leaders.
What’s the ONE thing that can trump pay and incentives? Purpose.
Purpose is king. It must be massive, transformative, compelling. Itmust engage people, head and heart. Purpose is a source of fuel, excitement, and momentum. As Tim mentions in the webinar, it’s important to velcro people to your “why.”
The San Diego Zoo makes sure that all employees are on board with their unique purpose: to end animal extinction one species at a time.
Houston Public Works is a great example of how an organization can transform when you velcro people to a big purpose. This is one of the most exciting and fulfilling projects I’ve worked on. Despite many constraints, employees at Public Works are ROARING with purpose and passion!
What are THREE things you must do to get your team roaring with purpose and passion?
- Clearly define your organization’s purpose.
- Refine your messaging around your purpose in a way that equips employees to share it. Keep it simple and consistent.
- When hiring look for people that buy-in and believe in the purpose.
“Connect people, head and heart.”
What are the steps to starting a movement that empowers, engages, and inspires your team?
“Start a movement. Get everybody ROARing. That excitement starts to be contagious!”
All you need is critical mass! Once 50.001% of your organization gets excited and on board the transformation takes hold.
The FIVE steps to starting a movement and energizing people in your organization are:
- Grassroots efforts: Make sure everything you are doing is employee-driven and rally employees around the cause.
- Make it fun and exciting! You will see an example of this from a Houston Public Works employee in the webinar and the rap he performs about transforming the culture.
- Make it “sticky”: Brand everything. Give it a unique look and feel.
- Keep it simple: Keep the messaging simple. Employees should be able to embrace it, understand it, and share it easily.
- Keep it consistent.
Please check out the full ROAR Chat above to dive in deeper. Tim and I share our experiences, stories, and examples of organizations using the ideas in the ROAR book to drive employee engagement and improve business results.
I have also created an exciting new e-course, ROAR Stronger to provide you with more tools, ideas, resources, and to help you build resilience so you and your organization can stay relevant and thrive. Contact me today at [email protected] for a free month preview of this course full of inspiring and transformative lessons.